The city of Leesburg and other municipalities across the state are celebrating Florida City Government Week from Oct. 23-29. Mayor Bob Bone recently signed a proclamation marking the occasion, and the city is celebrating in a big way with contests and video shoots.
The statewide theme this year is “My City: I’m Part of it, I’m Proud of it.” City government is the government closest to its citizens, and it’s important for residents to understand how their city operates, the services it provides, and the importance of their active involvement, a news release states.
The production crew of Lakefront TV is asking residents and local government leaders to share their thoughts on what makes Leesburg great. Here is a sample of video clips, and check Lakefront TV’s YouTube channel for additional clips:
The “What Makes Leesburg Great” Photo Contest also is still accepting entries through Oct. 27. Residents may share their photos that help tell the story of why they are proud to be a part of Leesburg.
Photo Contest prizes
- First place: An annual artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center for the Arts, free registration for the six-week class, The Artist’s Way, and recognition in the Leesburg Center for the Arts art festival guide as the first-place winner with a biography.
- Second place: An annual artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center for the Arts and free registration for the six-week class, The Artist’s Way, at the center.
- Third Place: An annual artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center for the Arts.
Three ways to enter:
- Visit Facebook @CityofLeesburgFlorida (#MyCityLeesburg, #FLCityWeek). Then click the PHOTO CONTEST tab.
- Visit leesburgflorida.gov/.
- Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and a caption for each photo.
Learn more about how local government works by clicking here for a video by the Florida League of Cities: www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=tfxT7j4XVSU