“We hope this day will ignite fervor for service across our community,” says Toni Upchurch, public speaking and journalism instructor and chair of LSSC’s community outreach committee.
In Clermont, volunteers are packaging 11,000 meals with Feeding Children Everywhere, for their Full Cart Program that provides low-cost meals to low-income families thanks to a generous donation by Office Depot of Clermont.
In Sumter County, volunteers are teaming with the Florida Department of Health (FLDOH) in Sumter County to clean up a park in Wildwood and leave “kindness rocks” in place of littered items. The project called Public Health Rocks shares health-related messaging in community parks around the county.
In Leesburg, volunteers will partner with the Early Learning Coalition to assist in the preparations for their upcoming Day in the Park event. Additionally, over 60 donated trees will be planted on the College’s Leesburg Campus.
Dr. Stanley Sidor, college president, noted in a press release that in the past, the Service Day has been an on-campus day of learning and professional development for the faculty and staff.
“Last year, we decided to broaden our approach and felt that community service was an excellent opportunity to make a difference in the community and provide personal and professional development to employee,” Dr. Sidor says in the release. “I would like to thank Toni and the community outreach committee for their leadership and hard work that made this day of service possible.”
LSSC assisting the following organizations:
- Dream Catchers Horse Ranch and Rescue
- Early Learning Coalition of Lake County
- Empower Farms, Tavares
- FAITH Neighborhood Center
- Families in Transition
- Feeding Children Everywhere
- Florida Dept. of Health – Sumter County
- Habitat for Humanity, Bushnell
- Habitat for Humanity, Lady Lake
- Habitat for Humanity, Leesburg
- Habitat for Humanity, Mount Dora
- Haven of Lake and Sumter County
- New Beginnings
- New Vision for Independence
- St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store
- Trout Nature Center
- Wildwood Elementary School