Q. I am turning 65 soon, how do I make the transition to Medicare?
A. Congratulations! This is a big milestone and deserves a celebration. Here are a few things every new 65-year-old should know:
1. If you are already drawing Social Security, you will automatically be enrolled into Parts A and B. Your Medicare will begin on the 1st of your birthday month and your monthly payment will be automatically deducted from your Social Security check.
2. If you are still working and have an employer group health plan (EGHP), most likely you will NOT need Part B. You will “delay enrollment” until you are ready to retire. Plan to contact Social Security about 3 months in advance. Your employer will confirm creditable coverage and arrange for your Part B to begin the first of the month after your EGHP ends. Cobra does NOT count as EGHP, consult a licensed agent before electing Cobra if you are 65 or older.
3. Once your Medicare Parts A and B are in place, you may select additional coverage such as Medicare Advantage (MA), Medicare Supplement (Medigap) and/or Part D plans.
4. If you recently moved here, even if you came from neighboring counties, a change in location can open up new plan options. You have 63 days after you report a change of address to select new coverage if available, so be sure to reach out to a local agent and inquire.
5. For those already enrolled in a Medicare plan, the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) is right around the corner (October 15 – December 7)! During this time, everyone with Medicare can review plans for the upcoming year and make changes that will become effective on January 1st.
6. Finally, if you are happy with your current plan, you do not need to do anything. Your plan will automatically renew.
If you would like to “Ask the Expert” in person, we will be presenting Making Medicare Easy, an educational seminar series focused on teaching the basics and providing useful tools in the selection of additional products. These will be held every Wednesday in September, beginning on the 8th, at 10am and 2pm at the Donnelly Park Building in the heart of historic downtown Mount Dora. More information about these events can be found on our website. Come out and see us; we would love to meet you!
352.735.7795 / 411 N. Donnelly St., Ste. 300, Mount Dora / healthandretirementadvocates.com