- Construction on a new skate park at Sunset Island Park in Eustis began in July. I really do hope they emphasize safety. As a child in the 1980s, I had a skateboarding friend whose last words were: “Hey, dude. Check out my new trick. It’s totally rad.”
- An emu, a native Australian bird that cannot fly, escaped from its owner and managed to find its way to the Howey bridge in Tavares. The bird stopped traffic. I imagine motorists did not find this very emu-sing.
- Laura Sobbott Ross, an English teacher and award-winning poet, will serve as the Lake County Library System’s first poet laureate. I’ve got a poem for Laura:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Your poetry rocks
Congrats to you!
- A 28-year-old Fruitland Park woman was arrested after stealing nearly $1,000 in merchandise at Belk in The Villages. Here’s the kicker: She had a toddler and two other children with her. Hopefully, these youths learned a valuable lesson: a five-finger discount comes with a hefty price.
- A 27-year-old woman called her mother to pick her up because she was intoxicated at Spanish Springs Town Square. The daughter was arrested because she slapped her mother for asking her to wear her seat belt. Much like her seat belt, knowing that you should never hit a parent just doesn’t seem to click for the woman.