Egg salad week begins (no surprise) the Monday after Easter, and Mia Wilchcombe, family and consumer science agent with the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences Extension in Lake County, provided this healthy egg salad recipe from wellplated.com. The extension has used the recipe in its program, Cuisine from the Roots Up: From Hen to Table.
Healthy egg salad
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, plus
- 2 hard-cooked egg whites (save the extra yolks for another use or discard)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 3 medium stalks)
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Peel the eggs and cut into a rough dice. Place in a large mixing bowl, then add the celery, Greek yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper, and dill. Stir to combine.
Serve on toasted bread with tomatoes and arugula or placed on top of salad greens.