LifePointe Church, located at 3551 E. Orange Ave., Eustis, and Trinity Assembly of God, 200 Urick St., Fruitland Park will again open for sheltering on Wednesday, Nov. 28 from 5:30 p.m. to Thursday, Nov. 29 at 7 a.m. The Lake County Office of Emergency Management is providing water and MREs (meals ready to eat) for families who will be staying overnight.
Lake County Transit will offer assistance to those needing transport to shelters between the hours of 5:30 and 8 p.m. Citizens requesting transportation should call 352-742-2612.
During extreme cold-weather events, the Florida Division of Emergency Management reminds residents of the importance of the five P’s:
- Protect People: Remember to dress in layers and wear a hat and gloves. Try to stay out of the wind and to stay dry.
- Protect Pets: If cold weather is in the forecast, be sure to bring outdoor pets inside or give them a warm shelter to stay in.
- Protect Plants: Cover cold-sensitive plants to protect them from the dangerous temperatures.
- Protect Pipes: Cover pipes and allow outdoor faucets to slowly drip to prevent them from freezing and breaking.
- Practice Fire Safety: Use safe heating sources indoors. Do not use fuel-burning devices such as grills; they release carbon monoxide, which is a deadly gas. Make sure to use space heaters according to their instructions and be attentive to open flames.
For more information about preparing for extreme cold weather events, visit www.floridadisaster.org/hazards/extreme-cold.
Non-profit and faith-based organizations who wish to offer sheltering assistance in the future should contact Lake County Emergency Management at 352-343-9420.